Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wednesday, September 10 - Day 12

This morning our destination was Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Since gas is near $7 per gallon at Jackson Hole, we diverted to an airpark in Alpine, Wyoming for cheaper fuel. We encountered cloud buildups as we approached Alpine, and could see rain showers in the direction of Jackson Hole that is only about 30 miles from Alpine.



We quickly took off for Jackson Hole and had to circle a few times over the Alpine valley until we could reach 9,500 feet. The flight took less than 10 minutes. As we let down for the landing on the 6,400 feet altitude runway, a heavy rain shower was moving across the approach end of the runway. I was number 2 following Doug Preston. On the down wind leg, I lost sight of Doug, but had anticipated this situation and put sufficient distance between us. As I turned on final, I still could not see Doug, and had some difficulty in my depth perception due to rain on my windshield. Doug knew to land long and allow me a lot of runway. As it turns out, it was probably my best landing on this trip. We rented a van and checked into a Jackson Hole motel.
The four corners of the downtown square have arches made out of elk antlers. Hundreds of elk come to Jackson Hole in the winter and they shed their antlers in the spring. There are all sorts of things throughtout the town made of antlers.

It has rained lightly off and on this afternoon, and it is COLD here. The weather outlook is not good for tomorrow, so we might drive up to Yellowstone. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

I am Rhonda, Brian's wife. I am so glad you are writing this blog. I like the pictures and the stories.

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest picture of you two.

I saw Peggy, John, and Margaret when I came over from AWANA tonight. I had seen John earlier too as he works in AWANA with us for a half hour or so.

There wasn't anyone at prayer meeting that knew how to record the Bible study so I couldn't make copies tonight or listen to the Bible study.I'm in AWANA till 7:30 this year. I'm helping with the 3-5 year old cubbies. They are adorable. One of them stuffed a lot of paper towels in the toilet tonight and that wasn't too adorable. The cubbies we have this year are all 3 years old.
I got to help David back in the sound booth during choir practice. I really enjoyed that.
You two hurry home!!!!!!!!!!

Cosmosrobby said...

Dad and Ginger...Anastasia made it safe to her parents and I made it safe to HSV. All is OK, except the worries of Ike. We are already in Backup Control Center mode with JSC shutting down at noon today. Great pictures...glad Ginger found the loose nut...you guys be careful...it sure looks like a trip to remember for life.
love ..#1Son